The Bull Hotel, originally dating back to the seventeenth century, was a small coaching inn with only eight rooms up until 1901. The front entrance and reception area was a courtyard, which provided convenient access from the main street through to the nearby cattle market situated in what is known today as Cattle Market Road.
In the eighteenth century, it was customary for hostelries and inns to be given a "town pound" from the local magistrate meaning that a certain amount of livestock would have to be accommodated in the outhouses as a service to the local farmers staying overnight, prior to Market Day. As a courtesy, stables were provided for resident guests in what is now the hotel car park.
When the motor car became fashionable, at the start of the last century, petrol and oils were dispensed from hand pumps at the rear of the hotel.
Today, however, The Bull Hotel, has benefited from major development and refurbishment which commenced in the early 1970s, when the then Labour Government provided grants to help develop the hotel industry.
Since then much has changed, and in 1998, The Bull Hotel was acquired by Mr Robert Peel, Previously The Chief Executive of Mount Charlotte and Thistle Hotels, after the creation of Peel Hotels PLC.