The George Hotel, a 16th Century Coaching Inn, is set in the very centre of this pretty, historic market town. The hotel is believed to have been the Dower House to the castle, the remains of which can still be seen to the rear of the hotel.
In 1517 Geoffrey and Elizabeth Baynton established The George and Dragon in the High Street so thereby becoming the first of many owners.
The hotel itself has many stories to tell. Dick Turpin, the infamous highwayman is believed to have escaped the law on many occasions, from his room above the courtyard, jumping onto his ever faithful steed Black Bess.
The legend of the Teardrop room is a mixture of fact and circumstance. John Robson a royalist was fatally stabbed in a bar room brawl, leaving his betrothed heartbroken. She fled to her room and sobbed uncontrollably, mixing her tears with soot from the fire, which she then painted on the walls. In that same room 300 years later the teardrop symbols still remain.
Whilst retaining much of its original character, The George has been sympathetically extended, and now provides every modern facility for the business and leisure traveller in 39 attractively decorated rooms.